tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Net Neutrality = End to Internet as We Know It!

mudra

Re: Net Neutrality = End to Internet as We Know It!

Post  mudra on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:12 am

Internet ‘Kill Switch’ Legislation Back in Play
    January 28, 2011

Legislation granting the president internet-killing powers is to be re-introduced soon to a Senate committee, the proposal’s chief sponsor told Wired.com on Friday.

The resurgence of the so-called “kill switch” legislation came the same day Egyptians faced an internet blackout designed to counter massive demonstrations in that country.

The bill, which has bipartisan support, is being floated by Sen. Susan Collins, the Republican ranking member on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. The proposed legislation, which Collins said would not give the president the same power Egypt’s Hosni Mubarak is exercising to quell dissent, sailed through the Homeland Security Committee in December but expired with the new Congress weeks later.

The bill is designed to protect against “significant” cyber threats before they cause damage, Collins said.

“My legislation would provide a mechanism for the government to work with the private sector in the event of a true cyber emergency,” Collins said in an e-mail Friday. “It would give our nation the best tools available to swiftly respond to a significant threat.”

The timing of when the legislation would be re-introduced was not immediately clear, as kinks to it are being worked out.

An aide to the Homeland Security committee described the bill as one that does not mandate the shuttering of the entire internet. Instead, it would authorize the president to demand turning off access to so-called “critical infrastructure” where necessary.

An example, the aide said, would require infrastructure connected to “the system that controls the floodgates to the Hoover dam” to cut its connection to the net if the government detected an imminent cyber attack.

What’s unclear, however, is how the government would have any idea when a cyber attack was imminent or why the operator wouldn’t shutter itself if it detected a looming attack.

About two dozen groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union, the American Library Association, Electronic Frontier Foundation and Center for Democracy & Technology, were skeptical enough to file an open letter opposing the idea. They are concerned that the measure, if it became law, might be used to censor the internet.

“It is imperative that cyber-security legislation not erode our rights,” (.pdf) the groups wrote last year to Congress.

A congressional white paper (.pdf) on the measure said the proposal prohibits the government from targeting websites for censorship “based solely on activities protected by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.”

Oddly, that’s exactly the same language in the Patriot Act used to test whether the government can wiretap or investigate a person based on their political beliefs or statements.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/01/kill-switch-legislation/

Love Always
    mudra
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:52 am

For those of us who may not be able to figure all that out, I suggest getting or keeping a land line and asking friends family and neighbors to keep theirs. Also, write the phone numbers down in a notebook, as keeping the number in a mobile phone won't help if you can't charge the phone. Land lines work in a a power failure. Also, phone handsets operating on battery will not be able to charge if there is no electricity. Get a regular old phone that is hardwired just in case. Make sure it works and put it in the closet. You might be glad you have it some day, let's hope not, right?
    TRANCOSO

Post  TRANCOSO on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:51 pm

House votes to overturn 'net neutrality' rules
    Saturday, April 9, 2011

The US House of Representatives voted on Friday to overturn "net neutrality" rules aimed at ensuring an open Internet, setting the stage for a clash with the Senate and President Barack Obama.

The House voted 240-179 in favor of a Republican-backed resolution that seeks to block the rules approved by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

The House vote went almost entirely along party lines although six Democrats joined the Republicans in voting for the resolution and two Republicans opposed it.

The five-member, Democratic-controlled FCC, in a vote split on party lines, agreed in December to the rules aimed at safeguarding "network neutrality" - the principle that lawful Web traffic should be treated equally.

Supporters have argued that the rules are needed to ensure an open Internet but opponents have decried them as unnecessary government intervention.

The Senate, where Democrats are in the majority, is unlikely to pass a measure similar to that approved by the House and the White House has threatened a veto if the resolution reaches President Obama's desk.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, a Republican from Virginia, welcomed the House's approval of the resolution calling it "an important step to bring down the FCC's harmful and partisan plan to regulate the Internet."

"These regulations give the government unwarranted authority to control broadband networks which ultimately will hinder a thriving industry, harm competition and stifle innovation," Cantor said.

"Under Republican leadership, the House is focusing on ending anti-growth government regulations," he said.

Democratic House leader Nancy Pelosi of California said the Republican-backed resolution "takes us in the wrong direction - revoking basic consumer protections, eliminating competition, and shutting off outlets of innovation."

Senator Jay Rockefeller, a Democrat from West Virginia, expressed disappointment with the House move saying "Americans want the Internet to remain free and open and the FCC's net neutrality rules provided just that."

The rules are a balancing act by the FCC between support for consumers and the cable and telephone companies that are the main Internet service providers in the United States.

The rules would prevent fixed broadband providers from blocking lawful content, applications or services, providing their own video content at a faster speed, for example, than that of a rival.

Wireless providers may not block access to lawful websites or applications that compete directly with their own voice or video telephony services but they could potentially block other applications or services.

Fixed broadband providers can also charge consumers according to usage, a metered pricing practice already used by some wireless carriers.

US telecom carrier Verizon Communications filed a legal challenge to the FCC's rules in January but a federal appeals court threw it out this week on the grounds that it was "premature" because the FCC has not yet published the rules in the Federal Register.

SOURCE: http://www.activistpost.com/2011/04/house-votes-to-overturn-net-neutrality.html
    mudra

Post  mudra on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 am

Jeffrey Tucker Destroys the Net Neutrality Propaganda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKrVIwUpKLU

Jeffrey Tucker of FEE.org joins us again to discuss his latest article, "Goodbye Net Neutrality; Hello Competition." We explore the details of the net neutrality discussion that is being ignored by nearly everyone, including how the corporatocracy actually favours net neutrality and how government regulation of the internet is precisely what is keeping prices high and access to the market restricted for would-be competitors.

SHOW NOTES AND MP3: https://www.corbettreport.com/?p=25133

Love Always
    mudra
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 am

Several years ago, an Individual of Interest asked me to research Net-Neutrality, and report my findings to him. I guess I didn't take this seriously, and I didn't dig very deep, but I reported my impressions to this Individual. It's been so long since I did this, and I don't remember much of what I said during a couple of our brief conversations, so I should probably dig-deeper, doing some significant-research, even though I am no longer in contact with this particular Individual of Interest. My bias is that a Civilization should be centered in a reasonable and rational system of Law and Order, which might include reasonable and rational internet-guidelines (however that might be interpreted).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:23 am